Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Music in Lexicon

A Lost in Lexicon musical? Yes. Believe it or not, I'm working with a very talented musician and composer, Todd Bearson, who also happens to have been Damian's sixth grade math teacher, on creating a musical based on Daphne's and Ivan's adventures in Lexicon.

When I say we're "working together," I mean he's working and I'm admiring. If you've read my last post on the extent of my musical talents, you'll know why. Last week Todd came over and Damian, after getting past the utter weirdness of seeing a teacher in summer, and worse, in our house, listened with me to renditions of the first two songs he's written. The first is a nostalgic piece sung by Aunt Adelaide as she ushers the children out the door to a world of adventure. The second, entitled "Girls Can't Do Math," set in the town of Tessellate, and is very funny. Especially funny was the spectacle of Damian's math teacher singing Daphne's retort in high falsetto.

Given competing demands on Todd's time (family, school, other musical plans), this project is going to take a while, but I'm going to enjoy it all the way.

1 comment:

Cellophane Queen said...

That's (how do the kids put it?) AWE SOME!!!

I can hardly wait to hear someone hum a few bars of the Lexicon Rag.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...